Sutton St James
|Sutton St James|
Sutton St James church tower and chancel
Sutton St James shown within Lincolnshire
|OS grid reference|
|- London||102 mi (164 km) South|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||PE12 0|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
|UK Parliament||South Holland and The Deepings|
|List of places: UK • England • Lincolnshire|
Lying in the Lincolnshire Fens, Sutton St James did not exist at the time of Domesday Book of 1086. Sutton St James was a chapelry to the parish of Long Sutton until it was created a civil parish in 1866.
The parish church is dedicated to Saint James, and is unusual in that the chancel and tower are disconnected, the nave having been destroyed during the Interregnum, when Oliver Cromwell was Lord Protector of England.
St James Tower is grade II* listed dating from the 15th century, and being restored in 1879 and 1894.
Retrieved from : http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sutton_St_James&oldid=462751647