Art and entertainment
Film, radio, and television
Retrieved from : http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Source&oldid=462211781
|Industry||Information technology |
|Headquarters||Rockledge, Florida, USA|
|Key people||Ute Rother, President and CEO |
Wolfram Kerber, SVP Software Development
|Products||Q-Sensei Enterprise Search Platform (ESP) |
Q-Sensei Scholarly Search
Q-Sensei is a privately-owned software company developing search-based applications for searching through unstructured and structured data on the internet, business networks, private computers, databases and hand-held devices. Q-Sensei is based on multi-dimensional search, which lets you search by full text and also by the various dimensions of data—date, tag, author, source, language, content type.
Q-Sensei was formed in 2007 through the merger of German-based social knowledge network Lalisio and the US search technology company, QUASM. The company is headquartered in Rockledge, Florida. Its European office is in Erfurt, Germany.
Its name is derived from the Japanese word Sensei, meaning "master" or "mentor".
Mullion shown within Cornwall
|Population||1,986 (Civil Parish, 2001)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Police||Devon and Cornwall|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
|UK Parliament||St Ives|
|List of places: UK • England • Cornwall|
Mullion parish is also important historically, with evidence of prehistoric burial mounds, Celtic crosses and ancient chapel sites, and in more recent times evidence of copper and china clay mining and a World War II airfield at Predannack. Today Mullion is the largest village on the Lizard Peninsula and is an important centre for local services and amenities as well as a popular tourist destination. Mullion School is the local secondary school.
The parish comprises 5,007 acres (20 km) of land, 8 acres (32,000 m) of water and 55 acres (220,000 m) of foreshore . The main village of Mullion is situated in the north of the parish, approximately 65 metres above sea level and about 1 mile (2 km) inland of the coast which is to its west. The village sits at the end of two river valleys which run southwest from the village, descending steeply to meet the sea at Polurrian Cove and Mullion Cove. North of the village is a third river valley descending west to east and meeting the sea at Poldhu Cove. This river defines the boundary between Mullion and the neighbouring parish of Gunwalloe. The geology of this part of the parish consists mainly of Hornblende Schists, only changing to slate north of Poldhu Cove. The land around the village and on the upper slopes of the river valleys is mostly fertile land cultivated for arable crops and livestock grazing. The small hamlets of Trewoon and Meaver are situated about half a mile to the east of Mullion village.
The parish name has evolved over the years, with references in the parish records to St Mullyon, St Mullian, Mullian, Mullyan, Mulion, Mullyon and St Mullion. In the Valor Ecclesiasticus carried out in 1535 the village name is recorded as Melyan.
The parish takes its name from Saint Melaine, the Breton Bishop of Rennes who supposedly took office in 519. He was a man of many aliases including the Latin version, Saint Melanius. Reference to early publications and the 1908 Ordnance Survey maps show that the parish church was actually known as St Melan's until at least the start of the 20th Century.
In the late 19th century, Edmund Harvey, Vicar of Mullion, proposed that the parish took its name from 'Mellon' which he believed was an alias of Saint Malo. Saint Malo was a Welshman who moved to Brittany (possibly with his cousin, Saint Samson) where he became Bishop of Aleth (the region now called Saint-Malo) around AD 541. Harvey's ideas have since been discredited. However, an area near one of the ancient chapel sites was known as St Malo's Moor in Harvey's time, and nearby were two fields known as Sampson's Crofts.
The church is of 13th century foundation but the fabric is almost entirely of the 15th century. Features of interest include the fine series of bench ends and other old woodwork.
Mullion was surveyed for the Survey of English Dialects.