|Platforms in use||2|
|Construction and location|
|Opened||1 September 1868|
|List of railway stations in North Rhine-Westphalia|
Remscheid-Lennep station is in the city of Remscheid in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia. It is the second most important station in the city after Remscheid Hauptbahnhof. The station is located west of the old centre of Lennep and is classified by Deutsche Bahn as a category 4 station..
On 1 September 1868, the Bergisch-Märkische Railway Company (German: Bergisch-Märkische Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft) opened the first section of the from Oberbarmen (then called Rittershausen) to Lennep. A committee of dignitaries from Barmen and the district of Lennep was established in 1844 to promote a rail link between the district of Lennep—which was a significant centre of industry (including the production of iron and steel goods and cloth)—and Cologne. A Barmen–Lennep–Cologne line was initially planned passing through the Dhünn valley. Then in June 1858, the Lennep Chamber of Commerce asked the Minister for Trade, Commerce and Public Works in Berlin for a branch line from Rittershausen (now called Wuppertal-Oberbarmen) via Lennep to Remscheid, which was approved and opened in 1868, although there continued to be calls for an extension to Cologne. A new line was opened on 12 May 1876 to Wermelskirchen, rather than running through the Dhünn valley; this was extended to Opladen via Burscheid on 1 October 1881.
Lennep was soon connected by the branch line to Remscheid (now considered to be part of the Wuppertal-Oberbarmen–Solingen railway), by a link to Krebsoge station on the (opened on 1 March 1886) and indirectly to the at via the line to Wermelskirchen opened in 1876, giving it more rail connections than its neighbouring cities so that it soon became a hub for rail transport in the Bergisches Land. The station had its own locomotive depot from 1893 to 1960.
In 1929 the town of Lennep was incorporated into Remscheid. However, it took until 18 May 1952 before the station was renamed from Lennep to Remscheid-Lennep station. It had always been more important than Remscheid Hauptbahnhof. This changed, however, with the closure of the Wupper Valley Railway in 1956 and passenger services on the Wipper Valley Railway in 1986. Finally in 1995 freight traffic was abandoned between Remscheid-Lennep and Wipperfurth on the remaining part of the Wipper Valley Railway.
The station was rebuilt from early 2009 until June 2010. As a result the station now has two side platforms, which are connected by an underpass. In addition, the old station building was restored and tracks that were no longer needed were dismantled.
Since 1986, the station has only been served by Regionalbahn service RB 47 (Der Müngstener) at 20 minute intervals.
Retrieved from : http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Remscheid-Lennep_station&oldid=458771726